Category: Android Code



I have been making some good progress on my first app and getting it slowly working the way I want it to. I have added Speech Recognition that will allow the user to say what they think the Spanish word is in English and I compare that word with the one from my database then notify the user if they are correct or not. I have also added Text-to-Speech (TTS) so the user can hear how the word is pronounced correctly when learning how to speak the language. The next items that I will be working on will be the settings database, the menu and the settings page. I don’t think it will be very hard to get those working but it will take a little time to get everything I need created.

When trying to copy my premade SQLite database into my app I found this website on ReignDesign that helped a lot. It showed me how to modify the database to work with Android and some code to get it working. It took me some time to play with the code in order to get it to work for me but I was able to get it working. Bellow is the code from the website that I used.

Continue reading

Advertisements

I have been reading the Android Development site trying to find exactly what I need to copy my SQLite database into the usable area of my app. Also, one of my friends let me borrow an Android Development book that he bought some time ago and I have started to read it. The book covers up to Android 2.0 and still works very well today because most of the important APIs were created in Android 1.5 and the book goes into great detail of the major functions of apps. I have found a few methods that should work that I want to try out and all I need now is some of that all important free time to sit down and experiment with the code. I plan on finding some of this free time soon and I will let you know about my findings.


Since I have finished the main GUI of my first Flashcard app I will need to start working on getting the SQLite Database created and working. Using SQLite Database Browser I have created a test database that is small and has at all the different kinds of information in it that I will need to test the function of. I have the _id field, a word category field, English word field, Spanish word field, a note field for future use, and a mark field to set words for future studying.

Now comes the fun part. Figuring out what features I want and need in order to get the SQLite Database created in android and work the way I want it to. I will be going over what I have learned in a future post and I am planing on making a page that covers everything in great detail on working with an SQLite Database in Android.

The Magic of Layouts


I have been playing around with layouts and figuring out what each layout is best used for. The Android Layout Tutorials does a nice job going over the basics of the layouts and widgets (objects visible to the user) and I highly recommend at lease looking the code over. I have not found a use for the Linear Layout in my projects yet but I think I have fallen in love with the Relative Layout. The Relative Layout is so easy to use, you create a widget and tell it where on the screen you want it to be located then you can tell another widget to sit next to the first one and so on. Here is a screen shot of a layout that I created using the Relative Layout.

I will be working on using the Tab Layout, List View and Table Layout in my project as well and I look forward to master those layouts as well. Android has made it very easy to create a good-looking GUI (Graphical User Interface).